Are you planning an autumn move? Milder weather means the summer heat has faded, but roads and sidewalks won’t be frozen. With the right preparation, moving during the autumn season can be a smooth transition. Some additional benefits of moving in the fall include:
Curb appeal is at its highest in the fall. Fall foliage and seasonal decor can spruce up front yards and doors. Competition for homes is typically lower following an active summer selling season. Lower competition and motivated sellers offer buyers more time to shop around.
Fall often means more community events. Seasonal festivals and community gatherings allow you to connect with your new neighbors.
Fall moving checklist
Getting organized is critical for planning a seamless move. Keep yourself organized by creating a plan and using a checklist. In addition to our handy, printable Ultimate Moving Checklist, we have these autumn move checklist items to help you organize your move.
- Set a timeline: Pick a moving date and schedule tasks coinciding with your date.
- Schedule your movers: Even though movers are not as busy in the fall, you must lock in dates with a moving company to secure your preferred moving day.
- Declutter: Moving is a great time to declutter! As you pack, decide what you can donate, sell, or toss.
- Seasonal relocation advice: Keep some sweaters, raincoats, and proper shoes close by when packing for a fall move. Fall weather can be unpredictable, and you don’t want to get caught without the right attire.
- Transfer utilities: Notify your utility company of your move – you can typically transfer service to a new address for local moves. Out-of-town or out-of-state moves will require canceling and re-establishing utility services.
- Children and pets: Make arrangements for your children and pets on moving day. It will be less stressful for everyone.
An autumn move not only offers a scenic backdrop but also practical advantages. To ensure a smooth transition, follow our moving checklist to make your fall move a stress-free and well-organized experience.