Print out or download step-by-step guidance from North America’s largest independent moving company, JK Moving Services.
4-12 months before the move
- Choose your company’s internal move coordinator/point person.
- Select an IOMI-certified relocation company.
- Identify items needed for the new space and assess any modifications or renovations; select needed suppliers and contractors.
- Share this office moving checklist with your colleagues.
12 weeks before the move
- Identify and label materials to be moved, recycled, or donated.
8 weeks before the move
- Identify and update company subscriptions, mailing addresses, and stationery.
- Move archival files and documents to a storage facility.
6 weeks before the move
- Determine employee office and seating assignments at the new location.
4 weeks before the move
- Instruct employees to identify personal items to take home.
- Clean and pack common areas.
- Identify which areas or staff need packing assistance.
- Receive file and storage area labels from your relocation company.
- Give your relocation company a contact for the move weekend.
- Host an “All Hands” staff meeting about the move and schedule move training sessions.
2-3 weeks before the move
- Conduct move training and distribute move packs for employees who did not attend the All Hands meeting.
- Verify that personal items have been removed.
1 week before the move
- Continue packing all areas.
- Conduct the final walk-through with the relocation company: verify packing is complete; inspect labeling; verify that file cabinets, refrigerators, and pantry areas are empty.
- Collect all suite and office keys.
- Double-check that cabinets are empty.
- Remind employees to take home personal items and laptop computers.
- Be present to guide the crew about placement of boxes and furniture.
- Check each item off the inventory list.
First business day, post-relocation
- Encourage staff to prioritize unpacking, and note any concerns.
- Work with your relocation company on any issues.